Generator problems

To: "'mg-t net'" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Generator problems
From: "drmoyce" <drmoyce@ent-oakland.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:30:27 -0700
Just back from a trip to Lake Tahoe for Open Roads, a nice event
sponsored by the Austin Healy Club.  Distance was about 200 miles each
way.  On the way up the TD was running hot up the hills, and I smelled a
little of that hot rubber smell.  At no time did the ignition light come
on, and charging seemed normal.  Stopped at a gas station and found that
the generator tension bracket (attached to the front of the block) had
fractured.  Further inspection found that the mounting bolt at the front
of the generator had fallen out, thus the torque that fractured the
bracket. The belt was still working, but loose, and I speculate that at
higher engine speeds for third gear hill climbs the water pump wasn't
spinning full speed, hence the overheat.
The event organizers got me in touch with the hotel maintenance people,
who were able to weld the bracket.  I replaced the bolt and remounted
the bracket and all was fine for the trip home.  A few blocks from home
the ignition light started to glow, extinguishing only at high revs.  By
the time I got home it is on full time.  I checked the belt and
tensioner (though we were hot and tired from the trip) and all appears
in order.  Fired it up this morning before going to work and the light
is still on.  Troubleshooting is in order, but it seems unlikely that I
would have fried the generator.
Ideas?
Andy Moyce
Oakland, CA