Re: THANKS: brake lights staying on

To: Douglas Ormrod <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>, MG-T
Subject: Re: THANKS: brake lights staying on
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:38:18 -0800
Very easy to remove master cylinder from under the car. Do you have LHD
or RHD?
If RHD, simply remove pipe from rear of M/C. Remove two securing bolts,
and extract M/C from car.
If LHD, loosen pipe from M/C to tee fitting on left side rail. DO NOT
REMOVE. Loosen pipe from rear of M/C, but do not pull out at this time.
Remove two securing bolts holding M/C to bracket. Pull back, and down.
Remove pipe from back of M/C, and remove M/C.
The factory should have put a 360 + 90 degree loop, from the M/C to the
tee fitting on the LHD cars. That would act as a spring, allowing for
removal of the pipe from the rear of the M/C, without the possibility of
kinking or bending the pipe.
When reinstalling the pipe, be sure that you start the threads by hand.
You can easily cross-thread a steel nut fitting with a wrench to try and
start it.
I have heard that the MGA has the same size cylinder bore as a TD/TF,
but has a softer rubber cup in the rebuild kit.

John Seim
Irvine, CA