Bumper Mounting on TD

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bumper Mounting on TD
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:38:38 -0500
Hello list and Happy New Year!
I am working on mounting my bumpers on my '53 TD and have a few
questions.

Rear: On the very back of the frame, I have two long bolts sticking out
of the upper holes on either side(one hole directly above the other).
They protrude approximately 4 inches from the frame and the ends are
threaded. The threads match the threads of lug nuts on my TD. The rear
splash apron slides over these bolts with the tops holes on the
posterior aspect of the apron allowing these bolts to pass through. The
bottom two holes on the apron match the two lower holes on the back of
the frame and have, I believe, 3/8 BSF threads. Are these long
protruding bolts proper and are they supposed to be removeable? My Moss
catalogs seem to suggest that a hex headed bolt is supposed to go
through the rear bumper bracket, then a spacer, then into the frame. Can
someone comment on the proper configuration and proper order of bolt,
bracket, spacer, any washers, etc? Also, what is the bolt size that goes
into the frame? How much room shoould there be between the installed
bumper and the apron?

Front: My frame on the front also has two holes, one above the other, on
either side. The front splash pan seems to bolt to the upper hole, with
the bumper bolt attaching through the lower hole. The upper hole has a
captive nut for the spash pan, but the lower hole appears smooth. Again,
what is the proper of bracket, bolt, spacer, washers if any? What are
the widths of the appropriate spacers for front and rear? What size
threads are the bolts to attach the splash pan?

Thanks to all for your continued valuable help with my restoration. I am
supposed to have some heavy-duty frame work myself (spinal fusion) in 10
days and I'm trying to get as far as I can before I am laid up for at
least a month!

Bill Snyder
'53 TD