Startup Problems NO MORE!!!

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Startup Problems NO MORE!!!
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:56:29 -0500
Anyone hear a load Whoop from the mid-Atlantic region a few
minutesag?.It was the sound I let out when the '53 rumbled to life!
After the news I got at the doctor today that I need back surgery, I
guess the Lord decided I needed a pick-me-up, and what a great one it
was.

I got my son to do the thumb over the plug #1 hole while I turned the
crank pulley with a screwdriver (no crank yet). The rotor was pointing
in the vicinity of the #1 lead with the pulley at TDC. I rotated the
distributor Clockwise until the next spark gap and tightened her down
there. Ignition on, choke out, pulled the starter switch out, and BOOM,
she fired up immediately and ran like a top! Good oil pressure, idle
speed dropped to about 1000 when I slowly let the choke out. Other than
a little burn smell from the new manifold paint and a little smoking
from the Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole, it was a perfect
experience! I suppose I was one gap off in a counterclockwise direction.

Thanks to all who gave me great advice. I'm sure I will be asking
again.................in fact, the ignition light stays on nice and
brightly with the engine running. Where do I start?

Thanks again to all. The little stuff I can handle now that the big
power plant will run! Maybe I can do the interior upholstery while
recouping from back surgery this winter!

Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC
'53 TD