Re: Lucas Generator

To: "Stuart C. Keen, Jr." <simbafish@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas Generator
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:51:50 -0500
Stu,
I can't really answer your question and I don't know what the reason for
asking it is.  Here is some of my experience that may help.  I've owned
my TD for 35 years and last summer when driving to the GOF in Gettysburg
I noticed the charging light was on.  I had never rebuilt my generator
and hadn't had it off the car for many years, even though I drive my TD
to quite a few shows during the season and sometimes drive it fairly
long distances.  So even though I'd tempted fate, the car was kind
enough to do this when I was driving to an event only 35 miles away.  I
made it home with no problems and removed the generator.  I looked at
the date code on it and found it to be in the early 60's and the
generator model number was incorrect for a TD.  I checked with a friend
who has a bugeye Sprite and found that it was a Sprite generator.  He
had a spare and I bought that, checked it out and installed it.  The
point of all of this background is that the Sprite  generator has given
me plenty of capacity for all of the normal stuff that the car came with
and also we usually take a small electric cooler along that I plug into
an accessory socket that I installed.  The ammeter, even with everything
operating at once (headlights, wipers, cooler) still is on the plus side
while driving along, which I take to mean that the load is being handled.
So maybe a used Sprite generator will do the job for you.  Just make
sure it has the threads on the back end for the tach drive to attach
to.  It still isn't correct for the car, but at least is Lucas, and I
suspect it is more powerful than the original.  BTW, I rebuilt my old
generator with a rebuild kit I had on hand from Holcombe Armature that
I'd bought several years ago for $50 or so.  Seems to me that the
brushes didn't quite fit so I sanded them down to work.  So my old
generator has a new (rebuilt) armature, new front bearing, new rear
bushing, and new brushes.  The used Sprite generator that I bought
didn't need to be rebuilt.  I stuck the TD pulley on it and it's working
fine.
Charlie