Re: Old vs New Rear Half Axles / Tire Squealing / Now long

To: "Stu Keen" <simbafish@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Old vs New Rear Half Axles / Tire Squealing / Now long
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:04:07 -0500
Hi again Stu:

    Your car sounds really intriguing. Do you down shift into forth when you
want to pass another car on the highway (remember the term, passing gear)?
What gear do you use going up hills on the highway? In my TD the power band
seems to start around 3000 rpm.

I really don't have a good feel for how good the TD drum brakes are. I've
had my TD thirty years, but I've never had to make a "panic" stop. My B's
brakes never impressed me until one day when I really had to stomp 'em. One
thing to remember about four wheel drum brakes: once they get wet (like from
driving though a deep puddle) you have absolutely no braking power for
several seconds. These can be very long seconds, if they're wet at the wrong
time! (Ask any old timer.)

IMHO:
As for the trip, with that many miles you will have to lube the front
suspension some where along the way. Also, I would do a tune-up half way
though. Points will never hold good timing over that distance without
adjustment (if you're still using points). I'll copy mg-t on this message, I
think other listers will have valuable input. I personally have never taken
a trip of that magnitude.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470