1939 MG TA

To: "'MG-t@autox.team.net'" <MG-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1939 MG TA
From: "Nelson, Dennis E" <NelsonDE@state.gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:03:47 -0400
Hello everyone, after a long absence from the mailing list, and especially
to TA Terry.  I was a member of this list for a number of years, and to
bring you up to date, I have been working on the restoration of a 1939 MG TA
for years!  Registration Number TA3074.  At any rate, I just had my 60th
birthday, and after having had this car, in one state of restoral or another
since 1978, I feel that it needs to go to a home that can do it justice and
provide it with a good long afterlife.  I just don't have the energy to do
what is necessary to bring it to life.  I will outline below what I have
done.

It has a complete rolling chassis, meaning that the engine has been
completely redone.  All new bearings, line bored, shaved crank, etc.  New
timing chain.  .  Four new .020 oversized pistons, reworked head, etc.  In
other words the engine, tranny and differential are all redone and on the
chassis.  The Brakes are all redone with new wheel cylinder kits, and the
master cylinder is rebuilt. A total of four SU carbs, three SU fuel pumps.
(I have a LOT of parts)  All it needs is gas and a battery and it will light
off.

The chassis was sandblasted and painted black with Eastwood Chassis Black.
All springs were disassembled, sandblasted and painted.  New Grunnion
bearings were installed front and rear, new rubber boots, etc. In fact, I
have sandblasted til I'm blue (orange, black, yellow, light blue) in the
face!  The car had six coats of paint total, and I spent WEEKS, and gallons
of paint remover getting it down to bear metal!

I have a total of seven wheels for the car; 2 - 16", 5 - 19", two of which
are new and never had tires on them.

Now the body, or lack thereof.  The previous owner let it deteriorate to the
point of no return and therefore it needs all new wood.  I have new front
and rear quarter panels, and two new running boards (purchased from NTG
Services).   The bonnet is good condition, as is the gas tank.  Front wings
are O.K. (need some work), rear wings are, well let's not talk about them.
I purchased the body support irons from NTG, as that is one of the things
the previous owner did not have when doing the body.  (Don't ask!)  I have a
new tranny cover (hard rubber), and a complete tan leather reupholstery kit,
complete with carpets, a tonneau cover, folding top, and two side curtains.

At any rate, I would like to ask how much something like this is worth.  It
is a genuine article, i.e. MPJG engine, cork clutch, etc.

Let me hear from you.

Dennis E. Nelson
Phone (202) 203-5186
Fax (202) 203-5184