SU balacing

To: <mg-tabc@egroups.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU balacing
From: "Lani Spahr" <lani_spahr@agilent.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:18:23 -0400
Hi all -

Yesterday I embarqued on the final stage of my first thorough tune up of my
TD (I bought it last summer) which is carburetter (!) tune up and balancing.
I followed the procedure as outlined in Knudson's T Series Handbook. When I
came to centering the jet on the front carb I had a bit of trouble getting
it centered. The problem was that it was centered with the locking nut loose
but when I tightened it down the piston did not seem to go all the way down
and "click" on the jet. After several tries I got it to center (I think -see
below). Now for balancing the 2 carbs:

I adjusted the 2 throttle screws as described (until they just touch the
plate and then one full turn CW), started the engine (which idled very well
at a slow speed) and listened with my tubing/stethoscope to the air intakes
at each carb. The front one (the one that I was having problems centering)
was sucking MUCH more air than the rear, so to balance them I had to adjust
the rear one CW several full turns. Even backing off the front screw (to the
point where it isn't touching the plate at all) to get a balance results in
a very fast (2500 rpm) idle speed. If I proceeded to adjust the mixture from
this point I doubt that I could get the revs down to an acceptable speed.

Now to the questions:

1. Do I still have an uncentered front jet, i.e. does an uncentered jet
result in a greater air intake that I observe?

2. If not #1 above, do I have something wrong with the throttle plate? Is it
adjustable somehow other than with the external adjusting screws? As noted
above, when both screws are adjusted the same the front carb is REALLY
sucking air.

3. Anything else?

Cheers,
Lani Spahr - 1951 TD #5550