Why do Valves like Marvel Mystery Oil so much?

To: "INTERNET:BobMGT@aol.com" <BobMGT@aol.com>
Subject: Why do Valves like Marvel Mystery Oil so much?
From: PMS GB Ltd <100070.740@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:29:20 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:BobMGT@aol.com
>I'm in the process of breaking-in a partially rebuilt XPAG engine. It has
new
pistons and rings, new stellite valves, hardened valve seats, (in fact
every
moving part on the head was replaced or refurbished). I'm up to 700 miles
on
the break-in. I've changed the oil several times along the way. If I don't
add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the crank case, the valves sound angry and
one
of the exhaust ones will stick. With the MMO, the valves sound happy and no

sticking. The valve guides are cast iron (not bronze) and the head was
rebuilt by a reputable professional, so it's unlikely the clearances are
out
of spec (but I suppose anything is possible).<

Bob,

As I've told you before - the valves should not stick in a well rebuilt
head, and your restorer's cavalier attitude of add snake oil and it will
be OK is totally unprofessional. Take it back to him again and tell him
to do the job properly.

With the problems you are still having and the "add snake oil" remedy,
the term "a reputable professional" seems overgenerous! - but does
indicate a truly generous nature on your part.

Clive Sherriff