RE: Transmission update

To: "Andrew Moyce" <amoyce@pol.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission update
From: "Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:16:27 -0400
The gearbox/transmission has to come out and the bellhousing removed to
remove the circlip on the front of the 3/4 shaft.
Of course a bigger pry bar may be used to pry the 3/4 shaft out and break
the circlip?
The early TD gearbox does not have the circlip and the selector rods can all
be removed from inside the car, not so the late TD/TF box.
Gear oil is splashed around the rear extension from the main box and will
certainly leak out the guide bearing hole if not sealed.
I believe you have bent the 3/4 shaft and also possibly damaged the 3/4
selector on the shaft. the selector is alloy and easily bent.
Regards, Bob

Anyway, this is my continuing saga about the TD transmission, which I
couldn't shift after repairing the cup bearing on the back of the
remote housing. The problem, I think, is a bent 3rd/4th selector shaft
which binds in the bearing/housing. The back chamber of the gearbox,
which holds the selector shafts, doesn't have any fluid in it at rest,
so I was a bit surprised to find that fluid was leaking around my
first repair.
I recently further hollowed out the cup bearing, and I took my Dremel
tool to the back three inches of the selector shaft, and have some
improvement, though going into 3rd is still difficult, and I have to
go into fourth before downshifting to second, as the gates don't line
up coming out of 3rd. Now I wonder if I have to replace the shaft and
if that can be done without removing the transmission from the car.
Any thoughts?

Andy Moyce
52 TD