4.3:1 conversion

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4.3:1 conversion
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 21:49:03 -0400
Last February at a MG workshop, a used MGA 4.3:1 ring and pinion gear
(also all new bearings and gaskets) were installed in my MGTD. Trial
fits were made, grinding accomplished as well as shims in place. It was
supposedly properly done, though no special tools were used, other than
a feeler gauge. Over 30 conversions have been done by the workshop.

The results are less than satisfactory and I would appreciate opinion if
my MGTD is likely to run into problem. When I drive under constant
unchanging acceleration, there is virtually no whining/singing. When I
completely remove my foot from the accelerator, again there is no noise.
HOWEVER, when I gradually release the accelerator pedal when slowing
down, such as coming to a stop light, there is a definite audible
whining. If I attempt to maintain CONSTANT SPEED going up and down
rolling hills (such as Rt 81 thru Tennessee and Virginia), when I back
off the accelerator while going down the hill, the whining is rather
loud. To avoid this, I race down the hills so that the accelerator pedal
is constant and the ring and pinion gears engaged, not "floating" in between.

I was at the Carlisle Import Show a couple weeks ago. I was told that
the problem is improper preload adjustment. One called it a "light load"
adjustment. Another said it was a bearing placement, another thought it
was placement of the pinion. My concern is whether or not this noise is
doing damage and if it should be fixed? If it needs to be corrected,
where can this be done reasonably? There is no local garage with
experience with this conversion and therefore I would have to ship the
rear end (a real bummer). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stu Keen
Venice, Fl
1951 MGTD MKII