RE: TD Wiper

To: "'Stuart Keen'" <simbafish@home.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TD Wiper
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:19:37 -0500
Stuart,

Assuming you have cleaned and lubricated the gears, the problem is either
electrical (most likely) or mechanical (wiper arms dragging or gear shafts
not turning smoothly).

Most of the wiper motors that come to me for service that exhibit the
symptoms you describe usually have a winding that is burned up on the
armature. It is a basic 3 pole motor with each pole having two windings. The
large winding on each pole is made up of about 300 turns of very fine wire.
That is the bulk of the winding. However, over each of the three poles is a
shunt winding. This is about 20 turns of a very fine resistance wire. The
purpose of the shunt winding is to increase the current flow, thus giving a
greater amount of torque to the motor. Most often it is the shunt winding
that has burned - usually due to lack of lubrication causing increased
current flow beyond what the armature is able to handle. If you look
closely, you are likely to find threads of this very fine wire coming off
the armature. This is a sure sign you need to have the armature rewound.

If the armature looks OK, it could still be bad, but usually the problem is
then elsewhere. Since you say that during a part of the arc the torque seems
OK, then I would strongly suspect a binding in the gearbox. Be sure there is
a thrust washer under the gears. This is a very thin washer which often gets
lost when some DPO tries to fix the wiper. There is usually very little wear
on the gears, but again be sure the gear shafts are scrupulously clean and
well lubricated. High temp grease is not the best as it is too stiff to
allow for free operation. Use a light to medium white lithium grease. Then
be sure all the gears spin freely through their entire rotation.

I repair wiper motors horns and fuel pumps for other club members and would
be happy to look at yours, if you like. My fee is very nominal. I don't do
it to make money, but to keep these cars on the road. Just be advised that I
cannot rewind armatures, so if that is the problem, I cannot help. I have a
batch of them myself that also need to be rewound, but have yet to find
someone that can rewind them for a reasonable amount. $65 seems to be the
going rate.

Let me know if I can help further.

Regards,
Lew Palmer