Re: TB lights

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: TB lights
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:01:33 -0400
   All those styles are correct too. Even when they were new in the
showroom, TDs could have different headlamps.
  Coolest by far are the chrome with the emblem.  Most practical are the
chrome, because they resist scratching when the bonnet sides are lowered
outside the lamps. Most understated and handsome are the painted shells.
  MG installed these at various times. Chrome w emblem are most commonly
found on "early" cars. Chrome are found on "not quite as early" and
"late" cars. These terms are as imprecise as the assignment of headlamps
seems to have been.  WIth all the mixing and matching, one wonders how
many cars were pushed down the line with two different headlamps
installed, only to be shunted to the rectification line.
  USA specs of the era required sealed beam lamps. They were, actually,
the best available at the time. The home market, separate bulb, lamps
were subject to concerns about focusing and tarnishing of the reflectors.
  US dealers installed the sealed beam lamps.
  Some say the US dealers were required to remove the wire that supplied
power to the fog lamp switch, though the fog lamp wire was left in place.
 Some states required that the dealers rewire the switch to cause the
sidelamps to go out when headlamps went on, not a great idea as then
oncoming drivers could not determine the width of the car. That was how
Detroit Iron was wired in the 50s.
Bob