Headlights (Plating / Resilvering) of reflectors

To: mg-tabc@egroups.com
Subject: Headlights (Plating / Resilvering) of reflectors
From: CFritz7001@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:33:21 EST
    My TC is equipped with a set of Lucas "Tripod" headlights, which
originally were fitted to XK120 Jags, but were not acceptable to licensing
authorities in some states in the US, since they are not "sealed beams".
    These units are 7 & 1/2 inches across the face of the FLAT
(non-prismatic) lenses, and have a chromed bulb-shield, which is supported by
a tripod-shaped mount.  I THINK that they are called "P-700s", but I'm not
sure what the correct nomenclature REALLY is.
     In any event, the reflectors on all of the units I have are beginning to
show dullness, if not outright tarnishing.  I'd re-polish them myself, but
the metal reflectors are "crimped" over the edge of the flat lens, and I
can't figure out how to separate the two without danmaging either the lens,
the reflector, or both.
    Any suggestions?