TD real axle grear ratio

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: TD real axle grear ratio
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:09:51 -0500
Just to add my own $.02 on the axle question.

I don't drive my TF much on the open roads. Like most T owners I enjoy the
back roads much more. But my own desire for a taller axle ratio comes from
the low end. First gear is so low that it's really only good for pulling
stumps and getting out of the ditch on cross country off road rallies. I
don't do much of either in the TF anymore. So now I just start out in
second gear and I might as well have a three speed.

I do understand that all you mountan dwellers (and San Franciscans) need
something to get started on the 45 degree inclines and you probably need
that first gear. Us flatlanders don't need to worry about that.

Dick Dell
Raleigh NC
(nowhere near the mountains)