Stripped bolt holes

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Stripped bolt holes
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:57:51 -0400
Sad times.

I have my TF somewhat apart to put in a new master cylinder and I saw that
the lower bolts securing the bell housing to the engine/sump were missing.
I acquired a few from Abingdon and when I went to put them in place found
that the threads in the sump are no longer viable (read GONE).

Do I need to pull the sump to have threaded inserts put in the holes? Can I
use a helicoil (is one available for a Whitworth thread?)?

Any and all suggestions and information are welcome.

Dick Dell
Raleigh NC

MGTF
Jensen-Healey