Re: TD Gear Box

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TD Gear Box
From: fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 08:18:12 -0400
Ron,

First you must make absolutely certain that the felt seal is not trapped
between the bearing and the flange. Use oil/grease to help slide the
flange past the felt. I usually have to work the seal with a screwdriver
to get it fully seated. I also remove and replace the flange a number of
times (without the nut) till I can tap it home against the bearing with
a satisfying metallic sound which indicates the seal is not trapped.

If you have the earlier speedo drive gear and mainshaft without the
woodruff key (pre TF, I think), you have to tighten the flange nut so
that the speedo gear is held tight enough so that it cannot spin on the
mainshaft. The other indicator is to look inside the box at the washer
just to the rear of the first and second hub. When the mainshaft is
pulled to the rear by tightening the flange nut, this washer should pull
up tight to the circlip, but not to the point of bending the washer. In
other words, everything to the rear of the center bearing is a sandwich.
Pull it all together with the flange nut. Actually, you're locating the
mainshaft in the gearbox as you do this.

I'm at the office and doing this from memory, so if you require more
detail, please feel free to contact me on or off list.

Regards,

Ed Woods