Re: Rear and Front main oil seals

To: <dmeadow@juno.com>, <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rear and Front main oil seals
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 07:25:03 -0700
David.....

The piece of felt was someone's attempt to improve the factory's
"lack-of-rear-main" seal. There's a paper gasket between the aluminum piece
and the block, but that's all.

Moss's rear seal has worked well for us but one has to follow the
installation directions very carefully.

The front seal idea has been around for many years; I was fitting them back
in the seventies. It's very effective and requires only that the installer
be careful to make sure the pulley does not have a groove worn in it from
the old rope seal. If the pulley sealing surface is not absolutely smooth,
buy and fit a "Speedi-sleeve" of suitable size - available from all good
auto parts houses.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center