First Drive

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: First Drive
From: "Fitch, Gordon" <gfitch@ku.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:28:01 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don, sorry I haven't replied earlier, but have a few thoughts:

1.  You have done an incredible job with your PA

2.  You have dreamed about that perfect first drive.

3.  It wasn't perfect.

As you probably know, I am going through a similar process of getting my BMW
3.0CS coupe back on the road
(please no groaning from triple Mers!) after a shorter but still long and
laborious process.

Here's what happened on my first drive:  Few "accessories" working, e.g. turn
signals, lights, etc., engine running very roughly, throttle linkage sticky,
leading to some embarrassing moments, coolant leak where carb choke heater hose
was not retightened............you get the idea.

My drive was about same distance as yours, but to a highway patrol inspection
station to have the VIN checked to convert from non-highway title to a highway
title, so license plates could be purchased.

I make it to the office, only to find I have the wrong documents, and little
confidence I can make it home and back again.  I get rescued by the inspector,
who says he can complete paper work, I don't have to bring the car back.
Whew..............   Then, driving gingerly back, the brake pedal sinks slowly
to the floor, blown brake wheel cylinder seals, of course.  After a quick quiet
"OH S.......", I manage to coax it the rest of the way back to the barn and
begin to realize what your MMM buddies are pointing out, that after all this
effort, still more PATIENCE is needed.

(and where is the justice in that??)

So, I've ordered four wheel cylinder OH kits, new brake hoses, etc. as I should
have from the beginning, and I am working hard on the PATIENCE part too, but
that isn't coming too easily.

Then I got to thinking, Don doesn't have to worry about possible hydraulic
failures, he has that fabulously reliable mechanical cable operated system with
no hoses or connections to leak.  The only problem he had is how to  bring
enough pressure to bear on them to actually bring the PA to a stop without
relying on external objects to slow one down.

To wind up and summarize this hopelessly wandering response, I want to add my
two cents to that from the others.  My advice is to "feast on what you have
accomplished, you deserve it", go to Tennessee, with Sandy, I hope, enjoy the
heck out of it, get recharged, and then you can tackle all the little stuff
later.

Have a great time!

Gordon