RE: J-type clutch

To: "Edmund Taylor" <etaylor@tjh.com.au>, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: J-type clutch
From: "Jack Hardy" <jnshardy@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:21:50 -0700
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Ed/all,
I had a similar problem with my PA's clutch.

 New, slightly larger Carbs. more power and more clutch slippage. I
contacted Mike Dowley, Sports and Vintage Motors, who recommended relining
it with "original" type material as he has in his PA racer. I took this
advice, now no more slippage, although my shifting and starts are now more
rough than with slippage. Been running it a year or more with no problems.

Also, I had the "new" when I rebuilt the car springs tested. They were
below the required 50# at specified height that is shown in "Blower's"
manual. The pressure came up to Spec. when I added the Std. phenolic disks
under the springs. I don't know if the J type has these disks. They are
shown in Blower's manual page 141 as a modified clutch for P and N types
"insulating disk" However this section of the book is for clutches for all
types of MG's (M,D,F,P & J models plus the Magnas and Magnettes)

Hope this helps,
Jack Hardy

Before
> opening or using attachments, check them for viruses and defects.  Thiess
John