Re: sheet metal fume excluder for J2

To: <Jorolibb@aol.com>, <jj@octagon.fsbusiness.co.uk>
Subject: Re: sheet metal fume excluder for J2
From: "Tom Metcalf" <mgtom@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:41:09 -0500
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
John,

I've got 3 originals with no engine color in sight. Either silver or black traces.

tommm

Gentlemen,

Thanks to Jim, Pete, Lew, John and John for responding to my question about
the J2 fume excluder. I have now had a bit of time to spend in the shop the
past few days and see why the notches are there. As it has been pointed out, the
excluder fits behind the gearbox flange and not between the gearbox and clutch
housing as I had thought. The notches are clearance for the inspection cover
at the top of the gearbox and the one at the bottom helps to clear the drain
plug. As both of mine don't have the split (I welded up the split on one years
ago and the other wasn't split) it doesn't seem necessary to have the split,
at least while placing the excluder over the gearbox while it is on the bench.
Regarding the hole(s), thanks John Morris for explaining this as a hole for a
wire clip and throttle return spring. SInce I have a hole in each excluder but
in different locations, this can be drilled later after installation in the
car.

I plan on keeping the excluder in one piece with no split but it sounds like
making the two piece excluder with the added strip does make an easier
installation and removal process.

I forgot to ask about the finish of the excluder. Was it painted and what
color if it was?

Thanks again,

John Libbert
Milford, OH