RE: PA/PB Steering Box Bearings

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Subject: RE: PA/PB Steering Box Bearings
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:06:14 -0400
Cc: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Lew,
Yes the TC steering box caged ball bearing dimensions are the same as your
bearing dimensions for the MG PA BC steering box.  So the Moss TC bearings,
part 129-108, page 20  now listed at $55.95 each  ( expensive little
suckers ) should be OK for the PA BC box.
I 'm copying the MG MMM list for information.
Bob
Bob,
  The bearing is difficult to figure out how to measure. However, the race
is 1.6875" OD, 1.115" ID and .253" deep. It has a circular groove which
centers a caged set of 10 balls each .250" in diameter.

  Cheers,

  Lew

  Hi Lew,

  Sorry I don't know. My PA has the early box, not BC and I have not looked
at it.

  I have some used TC bearings on hand for a couple of boxes apart. If you
email the PA BC dimensions I can check if the same.

  Bob
    Bob,

    Having played around with both TC and P-type steering boxes of the
Bishop Cam persuasion, do you happen to know whether the thrust bearings
from a TC box are the same as those from the P-type?

    I can't locate the bearings locally, but notice that Moss used to carry
similar looking ones for the TC under part number 129-108, but they are
approx $30 each and are no longer in the price list.

    Cheers,

    Lew Palmer