repairing a rad shell

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: repairing a rad shell
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:14:03 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Gentlemen,

While fitting up my shell to rad, I managed to break it. The break is
between the back of the hole for rad neck and the front bonnet clip slot.  It
seems
my rad "grew" by just a bit as it was fabricated from parts of 3  different
rads (I call it Frankenstein) as P type replacements were out of sight  when it
came to price.

 Closer inspection indicates it had broken there before, and chromed  over.
It was relatively easy to see who ever did the repairs initially used  steel
bits for the patch.

The only solution I see is to cut out the damaged part and replace with a
patch fabricated from brass, then re-chrome. I thought (initially) to make it
(the fabricated part) slightly oversized and use a step flange approach, like
fixing a rusty panel in a newer all steel car as butt welding on thin brass is
 beyond my skill level. I would do all the work from the back side... filling
the  seams on the top with lead or solder before finishing smooth.

My other hope was to locate a shell beyond help and salvage the top portion
for a graft. I don't suppose there's one just lying about out there.

Is there a better way? Suggestions? Do I bronze or use silver solder?

Any help would be appreciated.

Don B.