PA-0531 gearbox

To: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: PA-0531 gearbox
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:46:10 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Well PA-0531 gearbox is back in the car, not quite buttoned up but at least
in the car.

I made my own gearbox rubber sleeve mounts. First I machined a "mould" out
of aluminum plate which centered the inner sleeve on the outer sleeve. I
bought a one pound can of Devcon Flexane 80 Liquid, part number Flexane
15800. I also bought a small can of the recommended primer, Devcon FL-10,
part number 15980,  to get the Flexane 80 to stick to the steel sleeves.
Sandblasted and cleaned the sleeves and gave a light coat of primer. I
installed the sleeves in the mould with a small piece of wax paper on the
bottom to allow easy removal of the rubber mounts after curing. Mixed the
Flexane by weight, 77 parts Flexane to 23 parts hardener, poured it into the
space between the sleeves. Left it to cure for a day. Seems to be fine,
possibly a bit too hard and stiff? Installed the sleeves in the bell housing
and assembled the cross tube. Total material cost about $75.00 Cdn$.
Material should be enough for about 3 sets of bushings. The hardest part of
the job was sourcing the urethane material.
Trust this is of interest.
Bob Grunau