RE: PA-0531 gearbox

To: <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: PA-0531 gearbox
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:47:33 -0600
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Bob,

Careful now! Remember that 5/16" UNC has 18 thread pitch which is the same
as Whitworth. The difference is that UNC has a 60 degree pitch versus 55
degrees for Whitworth. So a visual inspection or even threading a nut onto
the existing shaft will not reveal an obvious difference. But then as a
machinist you knew that - right?

Cheers,
Lew