Overdrive for PB

To: <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overdrive for PB
From: "Gordon Higginbotham" <gordon.higginbotham@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:59:42 -0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Hi folks!
Following on from the discussions on overdrives I submitted the following, with
a copy to
mg-mmm@Autox.Team.net. Since it has not appeared on the listing obviously I
have done something
stupid and so am resending. I think the trouble may be that I joined the list
from my UK address but
sent the original from my S.African address!!  If you have already received it
my appologies for
wasting your time
I have a PB and have just fitted an overdrive to it.  This involved replacing
the main
shaft with a specially made longer unit, a new backplate to the gearbox ,both
bdesigned
to accept a Laycock Type D overdrive. The front bearing housing was also
replaced to
allow incorporation of an oil seal and so is slightly deeper.
The whole unit just fits in front of the chassis cross tube and the brakeshaft.
 I found
that there was no need to change the position of the handbrake on the
cross-shaft, but it
is a tight fit with about .25in clearance.  You have to reset the clutch levers
to allow
for the deeper front bearing housing and have to have your propshaft shortened
as well. I
did this mod on a fully assembled car with the engine in place.
I did in fact also modify the brakes to Wolsey Hornet spec and used a new cross
shaft as
the old one was ruined by lack of maintenance by previous owners.  I have taken
the
opportunity to replace the needle roller assembly using a modern unit with
integral oil
seal.  The gearbox modification was engineered and assembled by Barrie Dean of
Nottingham, UK, phone
number (0)115 9208416.  I understand he is preparing another batch of kits for
the J/D/L/P and N
types and is doing this for both the D and J type Laycock overdrive units. The
only cautionary note
I would add was that Laycocks used a variety of cable sizes and gear ratios in
the speedo drive and
this can be a bit of a minefield to get everything right!!
People may disagree with the mods to the brakes but since it was carried out to
some cars
in the mid '30's and is reversible I am quite content.
Gordon Higginbotham

---