RE: BBC NEWS | Business | MG Rover on brink of China deal

To: <Kellmg@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: BBC NEWS | Business | MG Rover on brink of China deal
From: "%Lee Chadwick Simmons \(Dr\)" <ACSLee@ntu.edu.sg>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:49:29 +0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
As an academic who studies Chinese business I am more than somewhat skeptical.
I spend a fair amount of time in Asia and China in particular.

China is not really very interested in letting other countries come in and sell
their products even if they are produced in China by Chinese people. They want
the money to stay there and help increase the Chinese economy. What seems to
happen is that these firms are allowed to earn some profits but what they lose
is all of their knowledge and then the Chinese use it to set up competing
firms. If you don't get your profits fairly quickly or invest in China and not
repatriate profits home then you will have a smaller chance to earn any
profits.

China needs the technology and management expertise and while I don't like the
way they are going about it I wouldn't really do anything different if I were
in their shoes. I wish MG Rover good luck and hope it helps them become
profitable but I have some serious doubts.