RE: Selection of high build primer

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Selection of high build primer
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:50:22 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don,

Who told you those tales? A painter who would like to have you job perhaps?

I agree it is not wise to mix paint systems, but I've been painting small
parts with poof cans for years - especially chassis and engine parts and
things that aren't painted in body color.

If you are painting parts in final body color like fenders, etc. then you
need to be more careful. It's not that paints WILL lift, it they the MAY
lift. There may also be other adverse effects.

When you start to paint with final color, test some first. Spray over the
areas with primer and see what happens. Look for the immediate effects like
the topcoat curdling (usually happens if you shoot a lacquer over an enamel
base). Then expose the dried panel to the elements, heat, sunlight, etc. If
no adverse effects are noticed for a few weeks, you're home free.

It's one thing to try to paint a whole car with poof cans (although I know a
couple of people that have achieved fantastic results doing it). It's
another to overshoot a few smaller parts.

Given the choice, it's best to shoot a wash coat of primer if humidity is a
problem. Then if you need to paint later with an incompatible paint, you can
use a thinner to wipe off the thin wash coat.

I hope this gives you some useful advice.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer