J2 piston question

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: J2 piston question
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:18:26 -0700
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
MMM listers,

My J2 has four-ring split skirt pistons +020. The engine probably has about
800 miles since rebuild fourty years ago...car reduced to "basket case" in
1968 by prior owner.

The bottom oil control ring becomes exposed at the rod clearance notches.
This seems like a bad thing and someone told me that if the ring catches it
may rip off the bottom of the piston.

Should I buy three-ring solid skirt pistons. Or, leave off the bottom oil
control
ring and rely on the top oil control ring only?

I have just made a set of insert shell con rods for the 1.500" journal billet
crank I bought in 1973, and do not want to risk piston failure destroying
much time and $.

Bill Traill
J2 3343
Clover Machine & Mfg.