Re: J2 Bodywork

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J2 Bodywork
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:53:55 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Ian

I don't know the official name of that bit: I've always referred to it as
the "rain panel", 'cos it stops the rain dripping on your legs!

It's easy to make in alum, with two patterns cut out of about 20mm chipboard
and a teardrop mallet or a hammer and block of wood. If you decide to go
that way I can give you a more detailed description  of the process. I
havn't made one in steel, but I don't think it would be hard to do.

This panel is the first one to go onto the body. The side panels must be
formed with the rain panel in place, as they wrap over it. Similarly the
scuttle panel under the windscreen wraps over the top edge of the rain
panel.

I don't understand how the T-section alum rear bonnet support can be made
from channel - to me, channel is U-shaped. I would have thought that the
offset T can only be made from symmetrical T, but maybe I'm misunderstanding
what you mean?

Anyway, the wide side of the top bar of the T is screwed to the front face
of the body after the side panels and scuttles are fitted. I then tapped the
stalk of the T toward the centre of the car to bring it into the same line
as the bonnet sides. This also means that where the T -section alum curves
around from sort of vertical to sort of horizontal. the stalk part has to
form a section of a cone to match the bonnet top. The material I had was
#very# soft and this shape could be formed very easily.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC
Sydney