Identity Help - Magnette

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Identity Help - Magnette
From: MGVADICK@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:18:55 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I own a 1936 MG NB 2 seater, No NA0958. It is markedly different in body
configuration than any of the other N types I have seen and I have never been
able to make sense of it. Getting this project back up toward the top of the
list, I have noticed something new which I would appreciate help in
understanding. The car has the characteristic NB doors with the long chrome
hinges but, the trailing edge of the doors are curved like an Airline Coupe -
following the leading line of the rear wings. This is contrary to the "normal"
N type where the trailing door  edge is basically straight and  vertical. The
rear body panel curves in at the top somewhat like an N Type 2/4 seater (shown
in the Sept.1, 1935 factory announcement) but, the spare tire is mounted
external and stands proud of the body surface.

Two separate references in The Motor add to the speculation. The April 3, 1934
issue , pg. 380 shows a picture of  an NA 2/4 seater and refers to it as "The
Airline convertible". The  October 1, 1935 issue, pg. 376, talks about "an
improved edition" and "general improvement in body lines" and mentions " a 2/3
seater" model.  My two seater has an original padded "squab" or cushion that
fits on the narrow shelf behind the two front bucket seats, good for a dog or
child sitting sideways.

This car apparently came to California after the war and has had "bobbed" front
wings and a "raked" windscreen going back to at least the early '50's. It has a
number of mechanical mods including hydraulic brakes. The car spent time on the
Continent ( had nice collection of original national touring badges) and is
fitted with factory speedo in km. leading one to think it might possibly have
been a "special order" car.

Anybody out there have any thoughts, comments or ideas on what the origin of
this car might be.  Any help would be much appreciated.   Thanks,   Dick Duncan