Re: rear dif. ratios

To: "Pete and Fran Thelander" <pthelander@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: rear dif. ratios
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:33:54 +1000
Cc: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Interesting disitation on speed verses cruising.

Changing the wheel & tyre size can also add complications to all of this
fun,

Having built a 5 speed gear box inside a P-type box to achieve overdrive, I
enjoyed the "launch" with the 5th gear being below 1 : 1 so much, I decided
that it would be a good idea to achieve the overdrive some other way.

Hence the first of the "Joey boxes" came to fruition on the P-something that
is now in the care of my son.  We ran up to 11% overdrive which was fun for
cruising.

Supercharged 4 cylinder MMM cars are so much fun.

For my new car I am using 4.4 : diff, 15" wheels and in one of the "Joey
boxes" I have made for provisions of final drive speed @ 5,500 revs of
96mph, 106mph, 114mph and 124mph.  The last of these ratios is 20 : 27 which
at 6500 rpm would show 137mph.

The factor that concerns me about all this is that the torque changes so
much as the variables change.  I just hope the gear box holds together.  I
hope that having a car close to 1,100 lbs will assist.

Good luck to you all as all "spin" your wheels.

Pip
AUSTRALIA