MMM Tires or Tyres

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: MMM Tires or Tyres
From: Cnowlan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 15:49:16 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

       As the guy that seriously urged & encouraged Derek Freathy of Concour
Tyre & Rubber Co. to go into Triple stud tyre manufacture, I think I can shed
some light on the issue.  I do stock these tires in Santa Barbara by like BW,
I am only a dealer and have no vested interest in the actual manufacture of
these tires.
       I contributed an article on 19" tires in the Fall 2001 issue of the
NAMMM Newsletter and charted the basic dimensions of all popular 400 & 4.50 X
19" tires.  From my experience with my own swept wing J2, L2 and TC. The 400
Triple stud tires do appear to be a bit too small but really and truly are
exactly correct and match the Circa 1936 Dunlop Fort tyre on my J2 exactly,
also they fit the virgin original spare tyre straps perfectly which virtually
all other tyres do not.  They also perform very well and offer far better
grip than the old 400 X 19 Dunlop Trials Universals which were fitted
previously.  Having said that, the Trials tires were a blast as you could
slip slid the car through the twisty bits and feel like Tazio Nuvolari... all
at 30 MPH!  My "lap times" through my favorite road course are now much
better with the triple stud tires.
       Shortly before the 450 triple studs came on-line, Derek sent me a
pre-production set for evaluation. Since the L2 is still not completed, I
fitted them first to my TC and subsequently to my J2.  I can honestly say
that while the 450's are not the truly correct size for J2 ( or P-types)
They looked really great... just beefy enough to look like they really
belonged on the car.  The 450 Triple studs are considerably smaller than the
450 X 19 "B5" Dunlops. which really are far to large for  all  F's, J's or
P's.  Also, the actual tread width and profile of the tyre is smaller than
the 450 Dunlops. The 450 triple studs don't cause any clearance problems on
my J2 and they were fitted to J4's as standard so would not be a problem on
any cycle winged car.   I would also believe that they would not cause any
clearance problems on a P-type swept wing car which other 450 generally do.
 I can provide tire diameters, thread width and max width dimensions for most
19" tyres upon request.  The 450's are speed rated to 130 MPH and I know that
the Buggati guys are trilled with the performance.  500 X 19 Triple studs are
also now available but I don't have any personal experience.

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan