Re: Thermostat in PA cooling system. Worth the effort?

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thermostat in PA cooling system. Worth the effort?
From: "Neil" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:20:21 -0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Not sure about specific MMM issues, but generally there should be a bypass
of some sort to allow some flow even when the thermostat is shut, to prevent
hotspots occuring before the thermostat opens. In the A-Series engine
(Spridgets etc) there was a small hose under the water pump that did this,
the later (A+) engines did not have this bypass hose but had heaters that
always took some flow. My (Turbocharged) Sprite has this set-up and all is
well.
One other issue with putting the thermostat in the hose is it might not
recieve any heat to open it, even if the water in the engine is already too
hot, unless there is some flow of water past it. In Vizards A-Series tuning
book he suggests drilling a couple of holes in the thermostat base plate to
provide the bypass flow path - maybe this would be worthwhile for the MMM
application.
My other thought is regarding non-pumped systems. Would the thermostst in
the top hose give too much restriction for thermosyphoning to be effective
enough?

Neil
PA1218
'68 CGT, '73 Midget, '71 Sprite Turbo