J2 rear shock absorbers

To: MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: J2 rear shock absorbers
From: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:22:31 +0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I installed the rear shock absorbers on my J2 yesterday and
realised that I didn't know how to deal with the pin that
attaches the upright arm to the shock absorber arm. On my
car this is just a set screw and does not have a split pin.
I guess it shouldn't be tightened with a spring washer
beneath the nut or the  bush will be doing the work that
the shock absorber should be doing. On the other hand if it
is loose what will prevent it from coming undone with all
the circular motion as the upright arm moves up and down
relative to the lateral arm of the shock absorber. Is a bit
of 'Locktite' on the nut the answer. Any advice would be
appreciated.