tire-tube-problems

To: "MMM mail-contact" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: tire-tube-problems
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:40:14 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi all,
I wonder if other Triple-M drivers have a similar tire-tube problem ?

On side-spoked wheels, which we use on MMM cars, the rim-diameter
on the side where the spokes are fitted, is considerably less than on the other
side.
This is on old wheels and even more on newly manufactured wheels,
and measures up to 8 mm.

Cornering the car with speed, results in a small gap between rim and tire,
and in this gap the pressurised tube is trying to enter and is nipped a second
later.

In addition to the smaller diameter, the side where the spokes are, is not as
flat
as the other side, and depending on the makers skill, more valley and mountain.

After some thousands times of nipping, the tube looks like treated with a blunt
knife all around, and in the end I so often have a puncture.

This problem is not restricted to certain tube,wheel or tyre-makes and sizes.
I had it with 18"/19" Dunlops,Firestones,Michelins, and I also tried different
tubes.

I trimmed the spoke-ends, I smoothened the mountains with a file,
I covered the rim surface with different types of tape, all in vain.

My local MMM-friends wonder why only I have all these problems.
I don't know, maybe I just do more driving, but it would be interesting,
to see, if there are fellow-sufferers somewhere around the world ?

Gerhard Maier