RE: Cotter pin for steering knuckle king pin - PA

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, <DSBonar@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Cotter pin for steering knuckle king pin - PA
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:56:30 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Don,

the cotter pin on a N-type I measured
is 2" and 1/16" long including the thread.

It is fitted that way, that the nut is in front of the axle.
The head of the cotter-pin projects the axle at the rear
about 10 mm, and acts as steering-lock when it comes
in contact with a bolt which is fitted to the steering knuckle.
This bolt is adjustable and has a locknut.

Sometimes the nut of the cotter pin reaches the end of the
thread before the pin squeezes the king pin tightly.
In that case the thread needs to be extended.

When the bore for the cotter pin is worn-out, it mostly is the
quickest to fabricate a special new one with the right dimensions.

Gerhard Maier