Re: J2 gearbox

To: David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: J2 gearbox
From: Cnowlan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:40:06 EDT
Cc: DANNAYLOR@aol.com
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dave,

       Your gearbox ratios ( 8/14) are correct for J2, PA speedo ratio is
4/10. A common problem with J2 & L owners is that the later Jaeger
chronometric speedos need a step up box which looks very much like a T-series
tack reduction box but actually has 4 gears inside not 2 as per T-type.
These mount directly on the back of the gearbox.  Only the early J's and L's
that still have Governor type speedo's ( very heavy with individual windows
for the Odometer) don't need the gearbox.  These were covered with a leather
cone shaped gaiter, Mike Collingburn has a good pattern for these.
       I still have the original on my J2 but bought an excellent new
reproduction from David Naylor in the UK for my L2, although he could not
supply the drive extension or drive key at that time. . I don't know if he
can still supply but he can possibly be reached through his son at
dannaylor@aol.com

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan