a supisition from a technical theory

To: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: a supisition from a technical theory
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:29:30 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Can I ask the opinion of all who are interested in getting to the basis of the
wonderful work MG's did in the 30's.

I think it is well understood that MG's only used Type 75 Wilson/ENV pre
selector gearboxes in their cars.
It seems that a well tuned Q or K3 was reaching about the maximum output that
these gearboxes would stand.  It also appears that it had not been realised in
1930's that extra drive torque could be transmitted by changing the angle of
the top gear cone.

Now if all that is even close to correct and EX127 was producing something
from 140 bhp to 160bhp, surely it follows that they must have used a manual
gearbox.  That is on the assumption that the pre selector gear box could not
transmit the extra power that was available.

It has long been my feeling that EX127 & probably EX154 did not ALWAYS use pre
selector gearboxes.  This is supported by 2 quoted facts.  Firstly, as far as
I am aware, there was no spare preselector gearbox sold when Kohlrausch
advertised his cars for sale.  Secondly, much has been made of the fact that
cost was a consideration for the work that Kohlrausch had done on his cars.
Isn't it just the same for us all, now.  So with a preselector gear box
costing something like an additional 65.00pounds, I wonder if the cost was
justified.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pip Bucknell