Re: tubes

To: kevin-allocca@msn.com, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tubes
From: Cnowlan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:33:35 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Kevin,

       The earlier versions on the MMM 19" outside laced wheels had center
mounted stems. At some point they changed to an angled stem on the outside of
the rim.( I suspect most of these are pre-war but post '36 replacements)
You really should not mixup center and offset stem tubes as it puts serious
strain on the stems leading to premature failure.
       Motorcycle tubes are almost always center stem and are readily
available in a 400 X 19" size.  Premium grade automotive 400 X 19 tubes are
however considerably thicker and weigh as much as 40% more than standard
motorcycle tubes.  I wouldn't want to race on thin motorcycle tubes but they
would be OK for normal touring use. I would suggest weighing replacements
against known automotive inner tubes.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Nowlan