RE: J3

To: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@optushome.com.au>, "MG Pre-war" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J3
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:56:17 -0400
Cc: <Edmund_Taylor@URSCorp.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Ed and Andrew,
I have manufactured stub axle inserts for the MG TC/TA and I believe these
will work on J3. Not sure if any mods have to be done on the stub insert or
J steering knuckle to accommodate as I am not sure of the exact details of a
J3 front steering knuckle.
The insert is as shown on page 103 of Mike Sherrells book, TCs Forever.
Material is ASTM 4140 HT and SR with a tensile strength of 130,000 psi and
good ductility. I have the mill test report if further details are required.
I have used these inserts in my own race TC for four years. Also another TC
racers has used them for four years. A couple of years ago we stripped his
car and we magnafluxed the inserts and they were fine.
Installation of the insert requires boring out the old spindle portion of
the steering knuckle and pressing in the insert. An interference fit of
0.003"  ( 3 thou. ) is required. The insert is manufactured oversize and the
steering knuckle needs to be bored to 1.1250" with a shouldered counterbore
of 1.250".  Heating of the knuckle to about 700 F. and dry ice on the
spindle makes the pressing very easy. These inserts are available in right
or left hand thread as original on early MG cars. I did revise the thread to
use a modern 3/4" 16 tpi NF thread form. Stub axle nuts must now come from a
late TD/TF/MGA but the unit is stronger with the 3/4" rather than original
5/8" BSF. The inter bearing spacer must be used and if using tapered roller
bearings the spacer must be shimmed and the stub axle nut fully tightened.
Price for an insert is $35.00 US$ each plus mail/shipping.
Regards from Canada, Bob Grunau

> Andrew,
>
> Can you help. I need to obtain a set of un-cracked stub axles for the J3.
>
> I had mine checked as a precaution whilst doing the work on the brakes.
Not
> happy!
>
> Do you know if new ones are made and by whom / where. Any advice would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Ed
>
> Ed Taylor
> Principal