Bearings, bushings, and things that go bump in the night

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Bearings, bushings, and things that go bump in the night
From: DSBonar@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:14:18 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Rebuilding king pins, front & rear hubs,

I just finished "Bearings 101" class at the local bearing shop. The following
questions arose>
1. Why wouldn't you use sealed bearings where ever possible?

2. How do you get (there has to be a trick) rear axle out of the hub without
going to machine shop or applying a very large hammer? Heat? Cold? Tried
swearing.

3. King pin stub axle bushings. They cannot exactly duplicate either the
oil/grease groove in the center, or the exposed lip for the dust cap, but did
offer an "oil impregnated" bushing in it's place. OK to use or go for the
original?

4. Can I press all the bearings/spacers out of the hub from one side or is
there a shoulder or lip that requires I pry out the old corroded seal from
each end separately?

5. Any tricks of the trade to know before reassembly?

Thanks,

Don B.