RE: J2 diff

To: "'Bill Traill'" <bill@clovermachine.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J2 diff
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:52:10 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Bill,

I've just been digging the diff out of my PB Airline Coupe and found
that the gears are also 7/37, and marked so on the diff housing. I'm
virtually certain that it is the original diff to the car (it has been
off the road and completely untouched for 40 years). It's entirely
possible that this was an alternative to the 8/43 set that everyone
claims is original.

My pumpkin and nosepiece are also steel.

The 7/37 is only a marginally lower ratio. I'm thinking it might have
been used on cars that were more designed for touring (like the Airline
Coupe) rather than race and trials work (like the 2-seater).

Anyone else care to chime in?

Regards,
Lew Palmer