generators

To: "MMM News Group - UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: generators
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:02:23 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I was interested in the response from our European MMM Member about using
modern solutions to solve his generating problems on a J2 that he wishes to
"drive without electrical problems".

I have had some exposure to MMM MG cars over the last 40 + years since first
purchasing one of those unsuccessful K3's.  Of more resent times I have
campaigned a quite strange P-type in several countries including my home base,
Australia.

I applaud those who wish to maintain their cars as "original".  However, I
have succumbed to using non original oil & petrol in my P-type but still
maintain the original air in the tyres whilst admitting that it must be
somewhat diluted with the inevitable topping up that is required each year or
so.

But in all my time with these cars, I have never had an electrical problem of
any sort.  This seems to me to support my general belief that the "MG Boys" of
the 30's really had extraordinary skills in producing cars that went well for
a very long time, provided they are looked after.

In fact, The P-type has only stopped on 3 unwanted occasions.  The first was
when the distributor cap became porous & the spark "tracked" and everything
wanted to fire in the wrong order.  The second was when we ripped the crown
wheel off the diff carrier whilst competing in England in 1996.  And the third
occasion was when I went racing in Goulbourn late last year.  The temperature
was so low that the supercharger case, on the inlet side, shrunk as the
special fuel went through and the lobes picked up on the case & jammed.

When any problem arrises, I always go back to H.N.Charles articles on small
racing cars to see how they "did it".  The solutions are most enlightening.

Anyhow, good luck to you all and best wishes.

Pip Bucknell
AUSTRALIA

I still run the original 3 brush system in my P-type and I have never had a
problem with it and providing everything is correctly set up, I am quite suer
that any "originality purest" can continue to use the original design IF THEY
DESIRE with no problems.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol