How's your olde plinth??

To: mg-tabc@egroups.com, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: How's your olde plinth??
From: Bill707@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:23:01 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Gents and Ladies,
I have recently been dancing the MG grill shell tango... (another story
there, see elsewhere), and have discovered that there are different sized and
shaped nose pieces, or as some say, plinths. The latter is not easy to say
and is rather obscure, so let's just say NP, for the shield shaped
contrivance to which is attached the MG logo medalion at the top of the grill
shell, just forward and below the radiator cap. The old PreWar Parts Centre
catalogue lists one for "All MMM" and another for "TAB&C". With a newly
restored P type shell I recently bought, came a NP that measures nearly 2cm
deep from the shell surface out to near the top of the medalion (which is the
thickest part). On my TC that same measurement is about 1.5cm. Yet another NP
I have, which was on my PA before I sent the shell assembly off to the
"restorer from hell" (hence the tango), meaures barely 1cm at that same
point. So... I have three different NPs. The 2cm one is now proudly borne by
my PA, the 1.5cm one has been on my TC forever, and the <1cm one is on my
computer.
What pray tell, is the correct one for which application??

Yor h'mb'le s'rv'nt,
Bill Tantau