Re: I've got a good idea!!!

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I've got a good idea!!!
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:24:12 -0700
Otto et all,
     I have a question, Why is it better to sit and wait in the pits than in
line? It's not like there is anything else to do. I get to see just as many
people and cars wating in line as I do bicycling arround the 2 mile long
pit. When I am ready to go to the line I want to go. What if I spend all day
Saturday checking the car and engine out and am ready to go Sunday AM, I
don't want to wait an additional time till my class is called? Lets face it
waiting is waiting some of us want to do it in one place some want to do it
another. I wont get us any more runs or less waiting. It will just add
another beuraucartic level of irritation to the meet and more work for the
voulenteers.
    Having the latest Star Wars timing system won't make the wait any
shorter either. The amount of time spent waiting for clock repairs is minor
compared to the real problem.
     Eliminating the wires on the ground is not the obstacle to running
three courses. There is not enough real estate with good salt. Look at the
satelite photos of the salt flats and the course layout.

http://www.scta-bni.org/news/Save%20The%20Salt/Carpenter_GSL_2002.pdf

For an additional course you need not just the race surface but a return
road with enough seperation from it so that an accident doesent wipe out
people pushing back. A course in the middle means all who use it must go
clear to the end so they can use one of the two existing return roads. No
early turn outs for car problems.
     The real problem is too many cars. We could go the NHRA (No Hot Rods
Allowed) way and make entry so restricted and expensive that only the fully
sponsored REAL racers could afford it. We could have criteria to seperate
the SERIOUS racers from the wannabes. We could say that you had to PROVE
your right to run there by quallifying at some other venue. All of this is
so much elitest bull pucky. The great thing about running Bonneville is
everyone is treated equally no matter what your perceved potential is.
     All we need is a couple of rain outs and a few of years of lumpy salt
and all the summer soldiers and sunhine patriots will go on to whatever the
latest magazine publicised rage is. Those of us left will continue with our
passion.

Jim Dincau
700 C/BFMR 270.390 mph
racing at the salt since 1962, holds no records, does it just or the fun of
it