Wisdom of the List --- Oil Pump

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Wisdom of the List --- Oil Pump
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:54:46 -0700
Mayf: Your Ford pump has a fairly typical, spring loaded, pressure relief.
If its lower pressure you want just tweak (or change) the relief spring.
While you are at it, why not blueprint it. I.e., check the
gear-end-clearance to plate dimension. Do a little hand grinding and clean
up any casting flash as well as smooth out the entry to oil flow holes.

As far as your question about pressure vs. volume pumps go here for good
advice and to save cluttering up this list.
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/oil_pumps/melling.html#sbf

Me thinks (if your engine clearances are stock) your racing Melling pump is
a bit more than you wanted. But your bottom-end will tell the tale so check
carefully before you lower to the stock pressure regime.

I completely agree with all the good things that have been said about a dry
sump, and that is what I would run. However, there is an element of
practicality here.  You are not going for any record. You are using very
modest boost levels . . . aren't you? You are out to have fun and not run
over your crank :-) and you have a fairly benign tune-up. You have no other
choice with those 49lb injectors :-)

What is REQUIRED to go the 200.001 mph you want, is some very expensive
Goodyears. What is NOT required is a dry sump.  By the time it is all done,
a good, used, dry sump is still going to cost you more than $800. That
almost pays for two of those mandatory tires! I'll get some flack on that
dollar figure but I watch eBay closely and figure around $300 pump, $200
tank, $200 hoses and fittings, $100 drive pulleys, belts, brackets and other
stuff. Put your money into what is mandatory and required. Add money and
technology when you realize you have to feed your salt addiction :-)
-Elon