Driver lic procedures

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Driver lic procedures
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 03:02:15 -0500
The SCTA has been really good about this whole issue Ed...  ( I'm re-titling
the discussion From another thread )...

If your driver has a B Lic and is currently racing below that level he's still
got a B lic... so long as he races...  He can upgrade that Lic. at any time
and doesn't need to requalify for it so long as he continues to race without
going over 3 yrs without driving.

Bob Taylor impressed me in 04 with Ted Wenz's lic. procedures... he recognized
Ted's skill from Indy cars and asked him to show he could control the car at
different levels,  Ted screwed up on his first pass... by sticking the car in
4th gear and running the RPM I'd told him to run in 3rd.... which resulted in
a 186mph pass.... Bob to his credit said Okay Ted... show me you can run
150mph this time.... Ted went out and ran 150.5...  So Bob said now show me do
the 175 correctly... and Ted ran 177....  so on and so forth...

The point being... that there really isn't an bully in this process... it's a
common sense sort of thing...

The SCTA recognizes the ECTA's lic. procedures and will honor a Lic from our
organization....  So if your looking to decrease your time in line at
Bonneville,  racing under another organizations banner has some merit.

Wes...  The Magazine article that fella wrote is mandatory reading for anyone
I teach to drive... as you read the article about his run... you see not less
then 5 opportunities to Lift... but he never does and drives it right into a
crash....  Folks need to hear about that before they go fast.... it's
important to understand that things don't get better with speed and to truly
understand that No pass is that important.

Keith