Re: Results question

To: "Mike Lackey" <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Results question
From: "J D Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:03:59 -0700
Subject: Results question

> The results show "Quarter", "Mile1", "Mile2" for the short course.  Does
> the "Quarter" refer to
> the speed after the first 1/4 mile?  If so, why are a lot of the "Mile1"
> times less than the
> "Quarter" times?  If not, what is it referring to?

This year it's going to be a little confusing. So first I'll give it to you
as it was up until this year. You are refering to the short course so that's
where I will begin.

Short course: from the starting line you have a 2 mile run up. You are then
timed for 1 mile from the 2 to the 3. You are also timed for the first 1/4
mile of that timed mile. (to be allowed to use the long course you MUST
reach 175mph in that 1/4 mile time trap) That is officially all it is there
for.

This year (2006) you will also recieve a time (speed) for the trap between
the 1 and the 2. I was not at the drivers meeting so I do not know what is
going to be used for but it was there to speed up the meet for slower
vehicle which can reach to speed before the 2. Some one else can answer if
it will be used for records.

Long Course: Once you have qualified for the long course you can be time
from the 2 to the 3, the 3 to the 4, and 4 to the 5 mile. In the Course are
also 2 other time traps. A 1/4 mile trap in the first timed mile (like the
short course)  and a 132' trap at the end of the 5 mile to get terminal
velocity.

No 1/4 mile speed or terminal velocity time is use for any records. It's for
tuning only

On the short course results it's also why you see the 1/4 mile speed higher
than the 1st mile speed.

If you draw it it may help:
Short
start____________1____________2_2-1/4__________3___slow down/stop
                               [     timed           ][
       timed       ]
                                                        (timed)

Long

down/ stop
                                                     [
   timed          ][           timed        ][     timed          ]
                                                    (timed)
(timed)
Hope this helps