non-lsr Formula SAE part 2

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: non-lsr Formula SAE part 2
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:15:56 -0700
They are small open-wheeled race cars using 610cc (max) 4-stroke engines with
restrictors, weighing about 400-800 pounds, and v. quick.   Points are awarded
for a design review, cost assessment, and, of course, performance in various
events, including mileage.  A tremendous effort just to get them built, and
indeed some schools' entries were not quite ready (USC didn't even start their
trip to the track until Friday).  Of the 61 teams entered, about 52 eventually
arrived on scene and eventually passed tech.  Teams came from all over the US
and world, including teams from Canada (including one from BC that got held up
at the border for 20 hours by some customs guy who apparently couldn't discern
that it was a race car and wouldn't let an unlicensed, non-EPA,
non-DOT-approved car into the country), two from Mexico, one from Puerto Rico,
one from Brazil, two from Japan, two from Australia (both finished in the top
five), and one from Sweden.   The latter team claimed their backup engine
control module was killed by airport x-rays--anyone heard of this happening?
Entries ranged from those that used passenger components to save custom parts
(yeah, the ones that weighed 800 pounds) to a few that were all carbon-fiber
tubs (might've been one around 300 pounds) with wings, etc. (baby F1 cars
almost).   It was, overall, a way cool experience (and I ain't talkin'
weather--it was 95-105 every day, and I've got the sunburn to prove it).  As a
tech inspector I got to work under the auspices of two very high-powered
scrutineers who have done everything from working with Big3 racing programs to
Formula 1.  Tech inspection ranged over the span of a three-page checklist
from checking fastener quality levels to timing drivers in emergency egress (5
seconds max).